Tuesday, July 22, 2014

One Month

This past Saturday marked one month until the moving truck comes and they pack our stuff and we drive our cars back home. It was a great day. Weird in that it was about 73 for a high and overcast, it seemed like October not July. We spent the morning with friends, who are also moving, at the Arboretum exploring the children's garden. And the evening we went to our next door neighbors house for a delicious dinner. Just a perfect day.

We went to church on Sunday. Abe Kuruvilla spoke on Jacob, the heal grabber, the chaser, and finally in his wrestling match with God became the clinger. Genesis 32:26 “I will not let you go,” Jacob replied, “unless you bless me.” Finally, after a life of chasing, grasping, he understood that God was the only one who could bless and satisfy and he chased no more. (And also God threw out his hip so he literally couldn't chase!) Jacob was going home too. And scared shitless of what was before him. I'm not scared of a murderous older brother! but I do get the jitters about going home.

During the offering the band sang "Come Thou Fount" my favorite hymn, the one I walked down the aisle to 12 years ago this Sunday. I nearly cried my mascara off when the second verse read:
"Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger,
interposed his precious blood."

and then verse four: O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

And there it was. I walked down the aisle loving the lyrics. Now I walk through life living the lyrics. Safely to arrive at home... Let thy goodness... bind my wandering heart to Thee. He has proved himself faithful and GOOD and I'm sold. I'm in. I'm His. Lead me home. I'll be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment