Friday, June 24, 2011

A new addition to my resume - MOM



Just a quick thought I had while driving Jack all over town the other day - Why can't women put MOTHER as part of their resume?!

Employers have been known to snub their noses at family references on a business document... but as a mom, now, if I had a business and needed an employee or two, I'd be searching for a family gal!

Just think, as a mom, you've been through:
* Baby boot camp - sleepless nights (long work day),
* Managing a crying baby (communication issues), and
* Balancing house work, work work, and the other folks in your life (like your poor neglected husband and puppy) all the while trying to solve the most frustrating problem of all - What the HECK are we having for dinner?! (multitasking to the max)

So, to all you moms out there who wonder if you can ever get back into the working world, if your skills of child-management are worth anything to anyone, please know that YES you can, and YES they are! You are more qualified than anyone I know to do any job you'd like!

With that being said, what great benefits our babies and children receive from having those skills put to work daily for their benefit. My mom used to make it look so easy - dinner ready, chocolate chip cookies when we came home from school, always milk in the fridge, clean house, cars gassed up and oil changed and laundry folded... how did she do that?! I'm not sure, but I know WHY she did it - so I could focus on other things, like being a kid, studying, making friends, practicing piano, and making small victories and big mistakes.

Managing your house is just as important, if not more so, than managing your boss! So put MOM on your "resume" with confidence and when people ask you what you do - make sure you say MOM first and then all the other things (like doctor, lawyer, PR pro, or money manager). After all, you earned it, even the Bible says so!

Proverbs 31:31 "Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."

Amen! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Andress, I love this post! You are so right! I never knew that this would be the hardest, most challenging, but most fruitful and wonderful job I could ever imagine. I knew it would be great, but now I know it's SO much more! Love you and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete